I am a total music lover. I am totally one of those weird people that acts like my life is a movie with a soundtrack as I walk around in the grocery store or to class. I’ll turn on my music and bop along as I move through my day-to-day life. That said, I ran across a YouTube video from Teen Vogue of Lizzo (who I loovvee) creating what would be her life playlist. It was adorable but also gave me an interesting idea, that is definitely wellness related. Go with me on this one.
Music is an excellent way of mitigating feelings and boosting one’s mood. I, like a lot of people (I’m sure), create playlists for everything. I have playlists of instrumental music to study to, vibey tunes for chilling or creating, uptempo songs for workouts, old school playlists for nostalgia and road trips. You get the idea. One type of playlist I have is songs that would boost my confidence for meetings, especially when I have to go meet with my PhD advisor. For years I would listen to Tupac “Ambitionz as a ridah” as I walked from my car to his office. What I thought would be fun is to share with you a playlist of my life songs/songs that boost my mood. It is scientifically proven that the bpm (beats per minute) of a song can produce energy and improved mood. Ever wonder why you want to listen to sad, slow songs when your upset or maybe death metal when you’re angry? Yep, science. So here’s what is on my good mood playlist:
1. Django Jane- Janelle Monae: This is such a boss chick anthem. It is my go-to to stand up in my dopiness.
2. Humble- Kendrick Lamar: Besides the tight beat, the bars are just hitting. I love Kendrick. This is one of those songs that make me feel like I got bars.
3. Motown Philly- Boyz II Men: I’m showing my age here but this has been one of my favorite songs since I was in the first grade. I love BoyzIIMen and this song always makes me happy and want to do the Kid N’ Play. Do y’ all know that one? Here’s a clip.
4. Electric Lady- Janelle Monae: Janelle Monae might be my spirit animal. She’s just… UGH! Ah-May-zing. And it features SOLANGE?! Bye. I’m done.
5. Before I Let Go- Frankie Beverly and Maze: My mama is a huge Frankie Beverly fan. I grew up loving Frankie. And this is a black cookout favorite. It ain’t a party until this comes on.
6. Take on Me- Aha: I’m an 80’s baby that wishes John Hughs made teen romances for black people.
7. Remember the Time- Michael Jackson: It’s a classic. Always feels good. No more words needed.
8. Nice for What?- Drake: This was last year’s summer bad bitch hit. I still love it because it features a sample from the queen Big Freedia and talks about stepping out in your dopeness.
9. Vivrant Thing- Q-tip: Showing my age but this is a jam. Trust me. Q-tip is a banger.
10. Dontcha- The Internet: The Internet always produces amazing vibe worthy songs. With a sample from Frankie Beverly and skating rink tease, you just want to put on huge headphones and bob your head.
11. SomethinG about your love- Phony ppl: The tempo of this song is so upbeat. A total feel good bop. Get into it.
12. I am the Greatest- Logic: Logic has bars. This song with it’s Mahameed Ali sound bite is my anthem. It get’s me feeling confident.
13. Don’t Wanna Fall in Love- Kyle: Kyle’s joy and nerdiness are infectious. This song gets me in the silly, no stress feels.
I’ll work on putting this up on Spotify if you want to take a listen to my playlist. You know you weren’t going to leave the blog without homework! Right? You knew that, right? Make a playlist for rainy days, and one day this week listen to it. What are some of your go-to “feel good” songs? I’d love to know.
Love and Light,